Head of School/Principal
Cornerstone Montessori Elementary School
1611 Ames Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55106
Pre-K, K, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Minnesota Teacher's License:
Cornerstone Search Committee Chair
Cornerstone Montessori Schools, located in St. Paul, Minnesota, offer a unique Head of School/Principal opportunity for a dynamic and visionary leader with a passion for high-quality, equity based AMI Montessori education.
Cornerstone Montessori Schools are two separate schools housed together in one community. Cornerstone Montessori School, a private school, provides a nurturing learning environment for approximately 50 children aged 16 months to 6 years. Cornerstone Montessori Elementary School (CMES), an AMI recognized public charter school, serves approximately 140 children in grades K-6.
Cornerstone Schools are co-located with the Montessori Center of Minnesota (MCM), one of only 35 worldwide Montessori teacher-training institutions providing AMI primary and elementary courses. MCM and Cornerstone Schools work together to increase access to high quality Montessori programs for all children.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR THE NEXT HEAD OF SCHOOL
The next Head of School has the opportunity to advance the schools’ strategic direction by building upon the joint mission and vision to continue transforming the lives of children in under-resourced communities. We have a solid foundation with an excellent and committed staff, engaged families, an enthusiastic parent community, and invested Board members. Recognitions include awards for excellence in governance, financial management and academics. CMES is one of an increasing number of public Montessori charter schools in the country. Cornerstone Schools, with their high-fidelity AMI recognized programs, successfully prepare children regardless of background with comprehensive and developmentally appropriate methods.
• Continue to work towards fulfilling our goal of offering all children an AMI environment that allows them to develop to their full human potential and to meet and exceed grade-level performance as measured by a variety of assessments.
• Ensure student recruitment and retention efforts reflect the schools’ mission and vision, with particular emphasis on increasing the enrollment of low-income and racially/ethnically diverse students while maintaining a balance of families of varied socioeconomic backgrounds.
• Embrace and improve our understanding of the many forms of diversity in our school community to ensure equity in leadership, staffing and materials.
• Develop ways to increase each family’s sense of inclusion in the Cornerstone community.
• Develop an administrative team that collaboratively advances and reflects the mission, has clearly defined roles and expectations, and opportunities for professional development.
• Be a strong and vocal advocate for broadening educational accountability measures to include executive function skills and other non-quantitative skills.
• Understand and advocate for the transformative power of high-quality Montessori education in diverse communities.
• Ensure that the schools are financially sustainable by actively and creatively working with both the MCM and CMES boards to broaden sources of funding beyond existing revenue streams, with particular efforts to broaden access for CMES beyond public funding.
The desired qualifications and key attributes for the next Head of School include:
• Visionary, energetic, and collaborative leader with the excellent oral and written communications skills to ensure a collegial staff, engaged families, and an overall positive school climate.
• Experience managing a complex organization with a solid understanding of financial matters.
• Experience in charter school or public-sector leadership with an understanding of the importance of early childhood education.
• Strong investment in equity based education with a proven track record of successfully working with, engaging, and supporting all forms of diversity.
• Deep understanding of the unique needs of children and families experiencing trauma.
• AMI training or equivalent experience preferred.
• Five years of prior leadership experience preferred.
Cornerstone Montessori Elementary School (a charter elementary school) and Cornerstone Montessori School (a private early childhood program) are committed to authentic AMI Montessori curriculum and serve children from 16 months of age, through sixth grade. We seek to provide the highest quality education to all children, regardless of their socio-economic or cultural backgrounds, through partnering with a diverse community of parents, cultivating healthy lifestyles and nurturing empathy, character and community engagement. Cornerstone is located in an ethnically diverse community on the East Side of Saint Paul.
Interested candidates please submit the following documents via email attachments to the Chair of the Search Committee at HOS-Search@cornerstone-elementary.org
1. Cover letter addressed to the Cornerstone Search Committee Chair summarizing your qualifications and interest in the Head of School position.
2. Your current resume.
3. A statement of your leadership style (2 pages max).
4. Two examples of your writing, presentation or video about an education topic.
5. Five references including email address and phone number. Any contact with your references will be done in confidence.
6. Three letters of reference.
Deadline for submission is March 12, 2018. Ideally the next Head of School would start at Cornerstone schools beginning in May 2018.
To learn more about the Cornerstone Montessori Schools please visit the web site at http://www.cornerstone-elementary.org/