Special Education Paraprofessional
Sojourner Truth Academy
3820 Emerson Avenue North
Minneapolis, MN 55412
K, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Minnesota Teacher's License:
Commensurate with Experience
JOIN THE STA FAMILY
Sojourner Truth Academy (STA) is currently seeking hard-working, passionate, social- justice-oriented educators to join our team as Licensed Special Education Paraprofessionals for the 2017-2018 school year.
At Sojourner Truth Academy we strive to provide an equitable and caring environment that fosters the belief that all scholars can and will achieve at high levels.
EFFECTIVE STA EDUCATORS ARE
• Data Driven
• Problem Solvers
• Change Agents
• Strong in Content Knowledge
The salary for this position is competitive and based on prior experience. STA offers a collaborative and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, and retirement.
STA EMPLOYMENT LOGISTICS
• Sojourner Truth Academy’s work day is 7:15 am-3:15 pm, Monday-Friday
• All STA Staff are expected to attend and participate in all monthly family events at the school.
EDUCATION, TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
Associates of Arts (A.A.) degree or higher OR high school diploma or G.E.D. and at least sixty (60) college credits OR successful completion of Parapro examination
CERTIFICATE & LICENSURE: Two year paraprofessional certificate preferred
STA BY THE NUMBERS
• 18 Years Serving Scholars
• 24:1 Scholar to Teacher Ratio
• 300+ Book library in each classroom
• 15 Consecutive Years Receiving MDE’s Finance Award
• 53% of Teachers in Leadership Roles
• 13 Professional Development Days
• 2 Hours of Professional Development per Week
• $350 per Year Classroom Budget
• $1000 per Grade Level Field Trip Allowance
• $0 Cost Employee Health Coverage
• 14 Family Events per Year
• 4 High Impact Community Partners
• 95% of Parents Feel Welcome at STA
Sojourner Truth Academy is a PreK-8th grade public charter school in North Minneapolis with proven academic and fiscal records. Established by parents and community members in 1999, we continue to offer our students a data-driven, balanced curriculum with a highly qualified staff that is supported through the Teacher Advancement Program. Our student population of 423 is 22% Hispanic and 77% African American with less than 2% Caucasian and Native American students. 20% do not speak English as their primary language. Over 90% of our students qualify for free or reduced lunch benefits.
The Minnesota State Standards drive the instructional planning at Sojourner Truth Academy. Classroom teachers ensure that every scholar at STA has the opportunity to master state standards by using a variety of materials and resources to teach the skills and concepts outlined in the State Standards. Small class sizes give teachers the flexibility to differentiate instruction based on academic needs. Some of the resources used are Good Habits, Good Readers, Prentice Hall Literature, Math Connects, Envision Math, and inquiry-based science lessons. Each classroom is equipped with a SMART Board for optimal learning. The SMART board allows scholars to become active participants in their learning. It is a great resource that energizes lessons and motivates learners. STA also provides three specialty classes: Art, Music and Physical Education. Each classroom is rotated through these classes every three days.
Free, all-day kindergarten helps us prepare students more thoroughly for the expectations of the upper grades. All-day Pre-Kindergarten instruction uses Creative Curriculum and prepares students for success in Kindergarten. Monthly parent events, after school enrichment, an on-site, full-time social worker, ESL program, and Special Education program give us the opportunity to build real relationships and supply students and families with the support they need, when they need it.
1. Please seek more information about our learning community before taking the time to submit an application: www.sojournertruthacademy.org
2. Qualified, passionate applicants should send their cover letter and resume to Nicole Mueller at email@example.com.
3. Applicant materials will be accepted until the positions are filled.