Chemistry/Physics Teacher Advisor
Northwest Passage High School
11345 Robinson Drive Northwest
Coon Rapids, MN 55433
9, 10, 11, 12
Minnesota Teacher's License:
Commensurate with Experience
Applicants must have an understanding of project based learning, experiential education, service learning, and high level youth development. This position is for a self-starter, innovator, problem solver and passionate learner who wants to join a team dedicated to making a difference in the lives of young people.
The essential functions of this job include but are not limited to the following fundamental job duties.
1. Northwest Passage High School is a teacher powered learning environment where individuals are viewed as professionals and have a great deal of autonomy. Advisors/teachers are expected to be learners first, who model curiosity, critical thinking and innovation.
2. Advisor to 15-16 students in project based, expeditionary learning school. Create a student centered and student directed learning environment. Foster a positive school culture.
3. Establish and monitor individual plans for each student with regular frequency including: a yearly Personal Learning Plan, daily schedules, project brainstorming, outlining, and design as needed.
4. Meet with students one on one regularly and build respectful relationships.
5. Offer license area expertise (and other expertise) to students from other advisories.
6. Lead regular out of school field studies and 3-4 overnight learning expeditions each year.
7. Maintain competency in Edio student management software and other programs. Model effective online communication skills. Assist students in troubleshooting technical needs.
8. Conference with parents at least three times a year, and communicate students’ progress verbally or through written notification as needed.
9. Keep records of students including transcripts, state standards, and attendance up to date. Update transcripts at least four times a year. Proctor state required tests.
10. Serve on two site based management teams. Participate in consensus driven site based decision making, by identifying issues and implementing solutions. Attend weekly staff meetings. Participate in staff evaluation and self-evaluation process and work towards self-improvement. Follow policies and procedures. Care of building and grounds.
1. License Requirements: Minnesota licensure in Chemistry and/or Physics (other licensure areas will be considered)
2. Education: BA/BS from accredited college or university.
3. Experience: Diverse background with hobbies and talents to share. Enjoy the outdoors, nature and outdoor projects.
4. Experience working with teenagers from diverse backgrounds.
5. Ability to serve on two management teams.
1. Charter school experience.
2. Project-Based Learning and/or personalized learning experience.
3. Teacher-led/powered school governance experience.
4. Experience leading trips in both urban and wilderness settings. First aid, CPR, and lifeguard training may be required.
*Duties and requirements are subject to change.
Reviewed and established annually by the Personnel Team and Board of Directors. Salary range is competitive with geographic norms and based on years of experience, licensure and other qualifications. Competitive benefits package included.
Northwest Passage High School is seeking a dynamic and innovative youth worker/teacher experienced in working with teenagers from a variety of backgrounds. NWPHS is a 9-12 grade projected based and experiential learning charter school with a mission of “Rekindling our hope, exploring our world, seeking our path, while building our community.” We are seeking an individual who shares our values of Creativity, Critical Thinking, Collaboration and Communication.
Northwest Passage High School is a teacher-powered charter school and applicants must be willing to wear many hats and contribute to the overall success of the school. Experience with outdoor education and expeditionary learning is a bonus.
Applications will be accepted through December 20th. Position to start January 14, 2019.
For any questions -- Please email Peter Wieczorek, Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
If interested, please send resume, cover letter and letters of recommendation to email@example.com
For more information about Northwest Passage High School visit our website nwphs.org