Paraprofessional Special Education Pk-8
Sojourner Truth Academy
3820 Emerson Avenue North
Minneapolis, MN 55412
K, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Minnesota Teacher's License:
Commensurate with Experience
Sojourner Truth Academy is a high-performing, PK-8 open enrollment public charter school. We are driven by our mission to prepare children for the future by building confidence and a strong sense of self-worth through small classrooms and an open, safe, family-like environment. STA supports families by embracing change when necessary for the good of the children and serving as a bridge to the community. Staff at STA is dedicated to and held accountable for providing a learning experience that is culturally relevant, challenging and fun.
Sojourner Truth Academy is a results-driven school founded in 1999.
Sojourner Truth Academy (STA) is currently seeking a hard-working, passionate, social- justice-oriented educator to join our team as a Special Education Paraprofessional for the 2018-19 school year.
Candidates that are selected for an interview will receive additional information regarding the specific roles and responsibilities.
Prove the Possible
• Student achievement is our number one job
• Ensure high standards for student behavior, performance, and attendance
• Deliver well-planned, rigorous, and meaningful lessons
• Use data to inform instruction
• Exhibit a high degree of professionalism in all elements of this position
• Serve as a positive force committed to our mission
Perform other duties as required and assigned
• Paraprofessionals must demonstrate knowledge and support of STA’s mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior
STA EMPLOYMENT LOGISTICS
• Sojourner Truth Academy’s workday is M-F 730am-3pm
• All STA Staff are expected to attend and participate in all monthly Family Events at the school.
Salary for this position is competitive and based on prior experience. STA offers a collaborative and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, and retirement.
EDUCATION, TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
• Associates of Arts (A.A.) degree or higher OR high school diploma or G.E.D. and at least sixty (60) college credits OR successful completion of Parapro examination
CERTIFICATE & LICENSURE: Two year paraprofessional certificate preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Demonstrated knowledge of effective teaching methods and developmentally appropriate classroom activities
• Talks about our work, scholars, families, and community is a respectful way
• Ability to maintain a positive learning environment for all scholars
• Strong classroom management skills and ability to diffuse and resolve conflict with scholars, parents and co-workers by demonstrating poise, tact and diplomacy
• A proven passion for working with urban youth and an unshakeable belief in their potential
• Computer competency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, e-mail and Internet
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
• A self-starter who effectively prioritizes work load and multiple tasks to align with STA’s goals and needs
• Demonstrated track record of successfully working with people of color (particularly African-Americans and Hispanics) and socio-economically disadvantaged communities AND/OR training in cultural competency and/or institutional racism
• Regular, prompt attendance is essential
• Proficient in completing required duties accurately and efficiently according to established timelines
• Ability to work cooperatively, collaboratively and effectively with all scholars, parents and staff in a team environment
• Evidence of the practice of high level of confidentiality and discretion with sensitive scholar and personnel information
• Perceptive and capable of relating to individuals at all levels within the school
• Entrepreneurial outlook and charter school commitment
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
We believe that diversity is strength, and we are committed to maintaining an inclusive, multicultural network. We are an equal-opportunity employer and welcome all qualified applicants.
CORE VALUE AND BELIEFS
All STA Staff must demonstrate a passionate belief in and commitment to the following core values:
1) Children are at the center of everything we do.
2) Our mission requires bold thought and action.
3) We choose optimism.
4) We push ourselves to improve.
5) We are stronger together.
6) We create fun and a little weirdness.
1. Please seek more information about our learning community before taking the time to submit an application: www.sojournertruthacademy.org
2. Qualified, passionate applicants should send their cover letter and resume to Alma Trevino at email@example.com.
3. Applicant materials will be accepted until the positions are filled.