Prekindergarten Teacher, Full-Time
Sojourner Truth Academy
3820 Emerson Avenue North
Minneapolis, MN 55412
Minnesota Teacher's License:
Commensurate with Experience
Sojourner Truth Academy is a high-performing, PK-8 open enrollment public charter school. We are driven by our mission to prepare children for the future by building confidence and a strong sense of self-worth through small classrooms and an open, safe, family-like environment. STA supports families by embracing change when necessary for the good of the children and serving as a bridge to the community. Staff at STA is dedicated to and held accountable for providing a learning experience that is culturally relevant, challenging and fun. Sojourner Truth Academy is a results-driven school founded in 1999.
Sojourner Truth Academy (STA) is currently seeking a committed, passionate, educator who holds an unshakeable belief in the ability of our scholars, to join our team as a licensed prekindergarten teacher for the 2018-2019 school year.
Every STA teacher has the opportunity to join a team of motivated, mission-driven teammates who are committed to taking responsibility for their students’ learning. STA teachers are charged with providing a rigorous, fast-paced, and highly structured learning environment for their scholars. Our core subjects include literacy, writing, math, science, and social studies.
At Sojourner Truth Academy we strive to provide an equitable and caring environment that fosters the belief that all scholars can and will achieve at high levels.
At STA Teacher Leader Teams drive and operate STA’s academic program with fidelity. Teacher Teams analyze instructional gaps; research best practice; develop, implement and train teachers on school-wide learning profiles. These teacher leadership opportunities have been rewarded with the lowest teacher turn over in STA history.
Candidates that are selected for an interview will receive additional information regarding the specific roles and responsibilities.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
We are committed to maintaining an inclusive, culturally competent work force that represents the community we serve. We value diversity, are an equal-opportunity employer, and welcome all qualified applicants.
STA EMPLOYMENT LOGISTICS
• Sojourner Truth Academy’s work day is 7:15am-3:15pm, Monday-Friday
• All STA Staff are expected to attend and participate in all monthly Family Events at the school.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. STA provides a collaborative and committed team environment with regular professional development and leadership opportunities. Comprehensive benefits plan includes medical, dental, and retirement.
EDUCATION, TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in early childhood education
CERTIFICATE & LICENSURE:
• Appropriate Minnesota State teaching license
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Demonstrated knowledge of effective teaching methods and developmentally appropriate classroom activities
• Ability to talk about our work, scholars, families, and community in a respectful way
• Ability to maintain a positive learning environment for all scholars
• Strong classroom management skills and ability to diffuse and resolve conflict with scholars, parents and co-workers by demonstrating poise, tact and diplomacy
• A proven passion for working with urban youth and an unshakeable belief in their potential
• Computer competency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, e-mail and Internet
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
• A self-starter who effectively prioritizes work load and multiple tasks to align with STA’s goals and needs
• Demonstrated track record of successfully working with people of color (particularly African-Americans and Hispanics) and socio-economically disadvantaged communities AND/OR training in cultural competency and/or institutional racism
• Uses racial equity strategies in teaching and learning. Considers racial equity in assessments.
• Regular, prompt attendance is essential
• Proficient in completing required duties accurately and efficiently according to established timelines
• Ability to work cooperatively, collaboratively and effectively with all scholars, parents and staff in a team environment
• Evidence of the practice of high level of confidentiality and discretion with sensitive scholar and personnel information
• Perceptive and capable of relating to individuals at all levels within the school
• Entrepreneurial outlook and charter school commitment
Please visit us online at www.sojournertruthacademy.org to learn more about our school.
1. Please seek more information about our learning community before taking the time to submit an application: www.sojournertruthacademy.org
2. Qualified, passionate applicants should send their cover letter and resume to Alma Trevino at email@example.com.
3. Applicant materials will be accepted until the positions are filled.