Art Teacher K-8
New City School
1500 6th Street NE
Minneapolis, MN 55413
K, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Minnesota Teacher's License:
Commensurate with Experience
NEW CITY SCHOOL--ART TEACHER K-8
In collaboration with staff, a NCS art teacher is responsible for visual arts instruction as part of a broader school team and for involving family partners in this important part of our students’ education. With support, and art teacher will bring skill and creativity to the craft of engaging instruction using the best curricular, technological, and other tools available. Teachers actively support the vision-focused operations and administration of the school.
BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Plan and implement effective instruction and assessment in alignment with state standards.
• Participate productively in professional development activities that hone the craft.
• Use data from assessments and other formal and informal sources to adjust and direct instruction.
• Tailor instruction to meet individual student strengths, needs and interests.
• Collaborate with specialist teammates (music, physical education, theater, Spanish), administrators, students, and families to ensure each student receives the support they need.
• Maintain accurate, complete and factual records on each student.
• Facilitate related student learning outside of school.
• In collaboration with the principal and professional development lead, work with others in pursuit of teacher excellence and maximum student learning.
• Monitor students when on school property.
• Attend staff meetings, professional development trainings, data analysis days, etc.
• Seek and learn from feedback to improve performance and professional competence.
• Support the administration and operation of the school.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Current Minnesota elementary K-6 or 1-6 teaching license
• Experience with diverse student populations
• Urban teaching experience
• Demonstrated success in increasing student achievement
• Arts and project-based learning experience
• Experience and/or interest in the intersection of social and emotional and academic learning
• Growth Mindset: Teachers work with an understanding that focused work over time results in desired outcomes. Willingness to take risks in efforts to further student learning is encouraged.
• Focus on Learning: Teachers routinely examine student learning results and plan instruction based on insights derived from data analysis. Engaging each student and moving each forward from her/his growing edge is the work. Learning with and from others is the norm.
• Creativity and Flexibility: Teachers will demonstrate creativity and promote creativity among students will server flexibly in a variety of roles.
• Teamwork: Teachers partner with teams for grade-level work and are engaged in weekly professional development with the teaching staff continuous focused on developing and maintaining caring and supportive relationships. Teachers will also develop inclusive teams focused on developing and maintaining caring and supporting relationships through advisory.
NEW CITY SCHOOL is an innovative K-8 public charter school in its sixteenth year in Northeast Minneapolis. Currently enrolling 300 students, it is guided by its mission to model the integration of social and academic learning and its commitment to diversity and the individuality of each of its students, New City limits class sizes, integrates arts, cultivates both the student and staff community, approaches content literacy through inquiry, and aspires to launch students to high school to foster a new and better city.
Our student day is currently from 10:15 AM until 4:45 PM. Staff meetings precede the student day.
SALARY, START DATE, and APPLICATION
• Salary: competitive and commensurate with experience; comprehensive benefits package
• Start Date: August, 2019
• Application: please e-mail cover letter and resume (including current licensure status) to Todd Bartholomay, Principal: email@example.com
**Applications will be accepted immediately and considered until the position is filled.