Sojourner Truth Academy
3820 Emerson Avenue North
Minneapolis, MN 55412
Minnesota Teacher's License:
Commensurate with Experience
Sojourner Truth Academy is a PreK-8th grade Charter Public School in Minneapolis. We are passionate about ensuring our scholars achieve academic and social success in a community of high expectations where each scholar is valued.
We are seeking passionate, innovative, collaborative educators to work in a team environment supported by on-going, constructive professional development. Our results driven Academy offers multiple teacher career paths and opportunities for promotion and advancement with performance-based accountability.
Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience
Potential for performance awards
EDUCATION, TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in elementary education
CERTIFICATE & LICENSURE:
• Minnesota State teaching license in elementary education
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Demonstrated knowledge of effective teaching methods and developmentally appropriate classroom activities
• Ability to talk about our work, scholars, families, and community in a respectful way
• Ability to maintain a positive learning environment for all scholars
• Strong classroom management skills and ability to diffuse and resolve conflict with scholars, parents and co-workers by demonstrating poise, tact and diplomacy
• A proven passion for working with urban youth and an unshakeable belief in their potential
• Computer competency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, e-mail and Internet
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
• A self-starter who effectively prioritizes work load and multiple tasks to align with STA’s goals and needs
• Demonstrated track record of successfully working with people of color (particularly African-Americans and Hispanics) and socio-economically disadvantaged communities AND/OR training in cultural competency and/or institutional racism
• Uses racial equity strategies in teaching and learning. Considers racial equity in assessments.
• Regular, prompt attendance is essential
• Proficient in completing required duties accurately and efficiently according to established timelines
• Ability to work cooperatively, collaboratively and effectively with all scholars, parents and staff in a team environment
• Evidence of the practice of high level of confidentiality and discretion with sensitive scholar and personnel information
• Perceptive and capable of relating to individuals at all levels within the school
• Entrepreneurial outlook and charter school commitment
Sojourner Truth Academy is an equal opportunity employer
Sojourner Truth Academy is a Pre K-8th Grade public charter school in North Minneapolis with proven academic and fiscal records. Established by parents and community members in 1999, we continue to offer our students a data driven, balanced curriculum with a highly qualified staff that is supported through the Teacher Advancement Program. Our student population of 423 is 22% Hispanic and 77% African American with less than 2% Caucasian and Native American students. 20% do not speak English as their primary language. Over 90% of our students qualify for free or reduced lunch benefits.
The Minnesota State Standards drive the instructional planning at Sojourner Truth Academy. Classroom teachers ensure that every scholar at STA has the opportunity to master state standards by using a variety of materials and resources to teach the skills and concepts outlined in the State Standards. Small class sizes give teachers the flexibility to differentiate instruction based on academic needs. Some of the resources used are Good Habits, Good Readers, Prentice Hall Literature, Math Connects, Envision Math, and inquiry based science lessons. Each classroom is equipped with a SMART Board for optimal learning. The SMART board allows scholars to become active participants in their learning. It is a great resource that energizes lessons and motivates learners. STA also provides three specialty classes: Art, Media, Music and Physical Education. Each classroom is rotated through these classes every four days.
Free, all-day kindergarten helps us prepare students more thoroughly for the expectations of the upper grades. All-day Pre-Kindergarten instruction uses Creative Curriculum and prepares students for success in Kindergarten. Monthly parent events, after school enrichment, an on-site, full-time social worker, ESL program, and Special Education program give us the opportunity to build real relationships and supply students and families with the support they need, when they need it.
To learn more about our school please visit us online at www.sojournertruthacademy.org
Send resume and cover letter to Nicole Gausman at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 612-588-0217. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.