Relicensure Submission Requirements & Forms
Sunday, September 1, 2013
As per the MN Board of Teaching's rules and guidelines, the following items are required for relicensure approval by a continuing education committee:
125 Total Continuing Education Units (CEUs) earned over the previous five-year licensure cycle, which would include:
- 30 CEUs in each area of licensure (including endorsements and specialty areas)
- Note: Teachers of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing must have 60 of the 125 hours in ASL or Deaf Culture.
- 1 CEU in each of the state-required areas of Reading Preparation, Positive Behavioral Intervention Strategies, Graduation Standards (Accommodation, Modification, and Adaptation of Curriculum, Materials, and Instruction), and Technology (a new requirement for educators renewing in 2012 and beyond)
- 2 CEUs in the state-required area of Key Warning Signs of Early-Onset Mental Illness in Children & Adolescents
- CEUs in more than one category (see Category Reference Sheet below for category descriptions)
The following items are required as part of your submission to the MACS Relicensure Committee. All items must be included in order for your file to be reviewed. (See individual forms at bottom of page for instructions for completing them.)
- Relicensure Submission Cover Sheet
- Copy of current license
- Reflective Statement
- Single License Master Record Form or Multiple Licenses Master Record Form
- Clock Hour Activity Explanation Sheet
- CEU Documentation
- Any appropriate fees
Submitting Clock Hours for Approval in a Non-Renewal Year
If you wish the committee to review clock hours for approval and your license does not expire on June 30th of the current year, you need to submit at least 50 clock hours at a time for the committee to review. You may only submit clock hours once per year for review in non-renewal years.
All teachers must include "evidence of work that demonstrates professional reflection and growth in best teaching practices. The applicant must include a reflective statement of professional accomplishment and the applicant's own assessment of professional growth..." in their license renewal materials. Criteria for the reflective statement can be found at the bottom of this page.
Surrendering a License
If you plan to surrender one of your licenses, you must do so at least six months in advance of the license expiration, by December 31st of the year prior to your license expiration, or you will be required to renew all of your licenses that spring. Contact the MN Department of Education's Educator Licensing Division for further information on this process at (651) 582-8691.