Relicensure Submission Requirements & Forms
Wednesday, August 6, 2014
As per the MN Board of Teaching's rules and guidelines, the following items are required for relicensure approval by a continuing education committee:
*125 Total Continuing Education Units (CEUs), earned over the previous five-year licensure cycle, which include:
- 30 CEUs in each area of licensure (including endorsements and specialty areas)
- Note: Teachers of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing must have 60 of the 125 hours in ASL or Deaf Culture.
- 1 CEU in each of these state-required areas: *Reading Preparation, Positive Behavioral Intervention Strategies, Graduation Standards (Accommodation, Modification, and Adaptation of Curriculum, Materials, and Instruction), and *Technology (a new requirement for educators renewing in 2012 and beyond)
- 2 CEUs in the state-required area of "Key Warning Signs of Early-Onset Mental Illness in Children & Adolescents"
- CEUs in more than one category (see Category Reference Sheet here)
- In addition, all teachers must include "evidence of work that demonstrates professional reflection and growth in best teaching practices. The applicant must include a reflective statement of professional accomplishment and the applicant's own assessment of professional growth..." in their license renewal materials. Criteria for the *reflective statement can be found here.
- 1 CEU in ELL - can be waived if there is a written explanation on how another CEU demonstrates growth in best practices for English Language Learning or if there is a description of growth in best practices for English Language Learning in the reflective statement
*An asterick indicates that certain educational professions are exempt from this requirement. Specific
exemptions can be found here.
The following items are required as part of your submission to the MACS Relicensure Committee. All items must be submitted via fax to 651-789-3093 or email, in one single PDF file, to firstname.lastname@example.org and included in order for your file to be reviewed. (See individual forms under RELATED CONTENT at bottom of page for instructions on completing them.)
- Relicensure Submission Cover Sheet
- Copy of current license
- License History - under the Teacher license lookup section, type in your file folder number and click "Details" instead of PDF.
- Reflective Statement(if required)
- Re-licensure Master Record Form
- Clock Hour Activity Explanation Sheet (only if necessary)
- CEU Documentation
Once documentation has been submitted electronically, please submit payment to MACS via PayPal here.
Submitting Clock Hours for Approval in a Non-Renewal Year
If you wish the committee to review clock hours for approval and your license does not expire on June 30th of the current school year, you need to submit at least 50 clock hours at a time for the committee to review. You may only submit clock hours once per school year for review in non-renewal years.
Surrendering a License
According to MN rules, if you plan to surrender one of your licenses, you must do so at least six months in advance of the license expiration, by December 31st of the year prior to your license expiration, or you will be required to renew all of your licenses that spring. Contact the MN Department of Education's Educator Licensing Division for further information on this process at 651-582-8691.