EL (English Learner) Teacher, 3.0 FTE
Cedar Riverside Community School
1610 South 6th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55454
K, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Minnesota Teacher's License:
Commensurate with Experience
Cedar Riverside Community School is currently seeking 3.0 FTE English Language Teachers to support a well-rounded academically focused program with an emphasis on literacy and character development. Responsibilities include:
1. Understands nature and needs of the English Language Learner (ESL/ELL) including Basic Interpersonal Communication Skills (BICS) and Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency (CALP), curriculum, socio-emotional development, and how to use this knowledge in planning.
2. Consults with grade level teachers regarding effective strategies, accommodations, and overall curriculum planning.
3. Demonstrates thorough knowledge of students’ diverse backgrounds, skills, special needs, talents, and interests, and uses this knowledge to plan for student learning.
4. Teaches content and processes of the English language at the appropriate level in order to advance the English language proficiency of assigned students.
5. Teaches Speaking, Listening, Reading, and Writing of Academic English, including vocabulary, grammar, reading strategies, and syntax.
6. Uses multiple teaching and learning strategies to engage students in active learning opportunities that promote the development of critical thinking, problem solving, self-advocacy, and performance capabilities.
7. Advocates for the needs of English Language Learners.
8. Assesses students by reviewing prior educational records, history, student/parent interviews, and administers district approved language proficiency test to determine ELL eligibility and placement.
9. Demonstrates a working understanding of state eligibility criteria for English Language Learner services as well as knowledge of MN State ESL and TESOL standards.
10. Maintains accurate and complete records as required by law, school board policy, district procedures, and administrative directives.
11. Utilizes personal communication, technology, and other means to share student progress and engage families in the instructional process.
12. Notifies parents of student placement in the ESL program as well as other modes of communication to share student progress and educate families in the English Language Learner program.
13. Embraces and exemplifies the CRCS Value Statement
Required Qualifications: A valid MN ESL/ELL teaching license (or ability to obtain).
Preferred Qualifications: Experience working with diverse populations of students including immigrants, English learners, special education students, and gifted students. Experience/Training in Responsive Classroom, Response to Intervention (RtI), and/or Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS)
Cedar Riverside Community School is a PreK-8 charter school located in the diverse Cedar-Riverside area of Minneapolis. It was established as one of the first charter schools in Minnesota in 1993 with the goal of meeting the unique needs of the youth in the neighborhood. During its 26 year existence, Cedar Riverside Community School has been diligent about maintaining a strong academic program while being responsive to the ever-changing population. It has also worked in partnership with many organizations, as well as educational and health institutions in the community.
Apply on our website at: https://crcs-school.org/employment/