Special Education Paraprofessional
Cornerstone Montessori Elementary School
1611 Ames Avenue E
St. Paul, MN 55106
K, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Minnesota Teacher's License:
Head of School
Assist elementary aged students with special needs in a Montessori classroom. Essential functions of the position include assisting with and delivering effective instruction specific to the Individualized Educational Program of students with special needs, specifically fulfilling paraprofessional requirements of the IEP. The qualified candidate will adhere to state and federal guidelines on delivery of instruction and compliance, communicating effectively with students and colleagues.
1. Works with individual students or small groups of students to reinforce learning of materials or skills initially introduced and outlined by certified staff.
2. Assists the certified staff in devising special strategies for reinforcing learning materials and skills based on a sympathetic understanding of individual students, their needs, interests, and abilities.
3. At all times, supports the students in becoming increasingly independent and connected to the classroom community and routines.
4. At all times, support the Lead Guide in the Montessori community in the promotion (among the children receiving services) of Montessori work ethic and freedoms balanced with responsibilities as the Guide has defined them with the children in the community. This is done through direct teaching to the children receiving services and through consistent modeling of the kinds of engagement in the community, expected of all community members.
5. Performs clerical, classroom maintenance, and instructional duties as assigned by the certified staff.
6. Alerts the certified staff to any problem or special information about an individual student.
7. Performs assigned supervision of students during lunch periods, play periods, and on field trips.
8. Demonstrates ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students in school environment and community.
9. Participates in in-service training programs as approved.
10. Maintains safe working environment and encourages colleagues to be safety minded in the performance of all school-related duties.
The qualified candidate will possess a minimum of a high school degree and either an associate degree or at least 60 credits of college education in any field. Preference given to those with further education and knowledgeable about the Montessori philosophy of education.
1. Interest in children and Montessori education
2. Desire to assist students with special needs in a learning environment
3. Emotional maturity and stability necessary for the specialized work involved
4. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board find appropriate and acceptable
Cornerstone Montessori Elementary School is seeking a second Special Education teacher to join our exceptional team. Cornerstone Montessori is a charter school committed to authentic AMI Montessori curriculum and serves children in Kindergarten through sixth grade. We seek to provide the highest quality education to all children, regardless of their socio-economic or cultural backgrounds, through partnering with a diverse community of parents, cultivating healthy lifestyles and nurturing empathy, character and community engagement. It is located in an ethnically diverse community on the East Side of Saint Paul.
Interested applicants please send a cover letter and a resume to Alyssa Schwartz at email@example.com